28.4.10

New Specs

I got new glasses the other day and wanted to blog about them for 2 reasons. First, because they're awesome.
Second, because amazingly enough the whole experience was awesome too. Usually getting something done over here is a million times more difficult than it should be. But this, some how, was so much better than getting glasses in the US. In the states it always went something like this: my old eye doctor won't release my prescription so I have to pay 20 or so bucks to get my eyes checked even though I know my prescription, pay another 100 + bucks (or 400 + bucks with out insurance) for some pair of glasses that I don't really like that much but are one of the few I can afford, and then have to wait 2 weeks until I can actually wear them. Here, I simply walked in, picked out a pair I liked, told the doctor my prescription (but he checked my eyes in case it had changed - for free), he went and got the correct lenses, and then the technician guy went to work fitting the lenses to the frames. He told me to wait 10 minutes but really it was only about 5. And the grand total for everything was 25 bucks, out the door. Amazing. And, pretty sad for America that even a third world country can do a better job at this than them.

3 comments:

seismicwaves said...

Nice! I've been putting off Nora's glasses to avoid the US experience knowing I'm going to have to shell out a few hundred for some hipster specs. I hear you guys will be making your way back to the US soon--I hope you can make it out to Virginia again!

[ said...

Do you know her prescription? Maybe I could get her a pair before we head back to the states. But glasses are pretty tricky to pick out for someone, and since she's a teenager I'm sure whatever I picked would be totally lame or something. :)
Yeah, we should be back in the states pretty soon. We wanted to make it over to the east coast, but budget-wise we're not so sure if it's possible. But hopefully we can in the not too distant future.

Anonymous said...

You look pretty awesome yourself, Cristina! Can't wait to see you and Steve...Sarah

Post a Comment